Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gone Fishing


My mother has been a public school teacher for more than 40 years.  She is a speech therapist and special education teacher.  She has had some incarnation of this fishing game in use in her classroom for as long as I can remember. A few weeks ago, Angus met with a therapist from the Children's Center here in Salt Lake, where he is going to be taking Social Skills classes this fall.  Lo and behold, if they didn't play this fishing game!  He loved it, so I created one for us.

The poles are two pieces of PVC pipe.  The line, some cotton yarn.  I bought these awesome horse shoe magnets at Lowe's for $1.70, which I will definitely be using again for science experiment magnets.  They are crazy strong!

  



 The colorful fish are paint chips from the store, cut into basic fish shapes.  I then wrote the letters of the alphabet and some basic arithmetic problems on them for when the kids were interested in doing something other than fishing.  They've spelled things with them, fished for specific letters or problems, and used them in a variety of ways.  Then I duct taped a large paperclip to each fish. Wallah -- fishing at home!
Angus, demonstrating his mad fishing skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment